FuckinEvolveAndRepresent

| |

Analyze this photograph for me. What do you see? A black and white world, with one colored object being dynamic, yes?

This defines my situation as the kind of artist I be, you know? Notice, some people are intrigued, some are angry, some are startled, and others just don't give a fuck. This is how it is for artists like me, the: Immortal Techniques, Consequences, MURSs, Mos Defs, et cetera. People that actually have something to say music wise are treated like outliers.

In a world where it's more okay to follow than to lead, a person stepping out and being original is blasphemy. The majority is used to routine, everything being laid out and comfortable for them. To attempt to change the game is a hard task, but it has been proven to be possible: Oprah, Tyler Perry, Jay-Z, Bill Gates, Lord British, et cetera....If a person doesn't accept something, they will hate it. For example: attempting to push Christianity on a Muslim...nuff said. Religion is too serious.

You don't understand how many times I've rapped for somebody or played a beat and I get the blankest expression. Either I'm not felt because it's not their taste, or they don't get where I'm coming from. If you're not doing you, you're doing somebody else. The most popular jock to jock seems to be Lil Wayne's. Everybody wants to not write lyrics, everybody wants be able to make the silliest syllables rhyme, but it's simply not them...

Back to the photo, see the ball is bouncing? The bouncing is the action of "doing your thing." The ball was designed to do its thing, which is to bounce. Artists were designed to do what ladies and gentlemen? Notice the ball is care free while it bounces, it doesn't stop because people don't accept its shine, it keeps going. That's a true artist, he/she must keep bouncing.

My biggest pet peeve when it comes to my music style, people generalize it as the following: Mid-West, East Coast, and conscious...those aren't problems, but I ALWAYS get compared to Common, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Lupe Fiasco, Kanye West...sure it's not bad to be put in the same yacht as them, but that's not my aim. I want people to say, "Whoa, I don't even know what to compare that to. He's in his own league."

--Midas has spoken--

Ride out to this one...



P.E.A.C.E

0 Muthafuckin' Comments:

Post a Comment

 
back to top