Just 2 Get By

| |
Another post about Rap music from an aspiring rapper...thing....

So, like, Facebook is my first home and junk....I stumbled across the Kool G Rap LIKE page....which is still stupid to me, the whole LIKE thing.......

Anyway, the man is hustling to aspiring emcees/producers. He has an email where cats can send him beats for him to feature on or just rap on.....He labels himself as "Your favorite rapper's favorite rapper." Which is kinda true. Jay-Z is one of my favorites, and more and more you can spot Kool G Rap references....

Everyday, though, I start to feel sorry for rappers who should be making the money the rappers who don't really rap make. Wu-Tang is the number one example....they don't stay in the mainstream's eye sight, thus diminishing any chances to sell a decent amount of records....G Rap has slipped so much, he has a song with Hilary Duff...or was it the other Duff?

To contradict myself, I think a lot of audiences tend to defer from their bread-and-butter-artists because they want to change up. Personally, I don't like Common's Universal Mind Control...that's just me. I don't like when Nas tries to rap on current beats.....et cetera, et cetera....I believe the key to gripping the hearts/ears of an audience is to establish the fact you can be versatile....

A lot of artists only change up when the times change up....if you're being different when times get different, you're only being the same, right?

The best example I can pull out of my ass at the moment is from Lil Wayne's Carter II. The song, "Grown Man"ft. Curren$y. Sure, niggas were releasing sappy R&B collabos, but this song never hit radio...it's about diversity, not showing out.

I read an interview with 50Cent on Drake's "Find Your Love"....50 comments something like, 'He can get away with a song like that"...or something of that nature. I feel people are too afraid to spread their wings...50 feels he has to be "hard" until he dies. That's not the case....it's also not as easy as performing a slow jam...

I guess I lost what I meant to get at.....either way...make music....don't let the genre define you.

--midas is a sad panda--

0 Muthafuckin' Comments:

Post a Comment

 
back to top